- She says that when your baby wakes up in the middle of the night, instead of giving him your boob, give him a pacifier...
- Another issue I had was that her explanation for a 5 month old not sleeping through the night is: "Your baby may have switched day for night...wake her every 3 hours during the day".
Ollie wakes up about every 3 hours all night long. I've tried not feeding him but he freaks out and when I do feed him he is asleep again within like 10 minutes. He definitely does not have day and night confused, he just loves him some num nums.
- But on a plus side, i love that she doesn't use the word "breast" (GROSS word) and just says "boob" instead.
5 comments:
I have always liked and followed baby wise, all my kids sleep through the night at 8 weeks, and I am very thankful.
cole slept through the night at 4 months (on his own). max has slept through the night a handful of times but still wakes up once between 930/10 pm and 730 am (i have kind of tried things to get him to sleep through the night but haven't stuck to anything really because we are still sharing a room with him and letting him scream when he's a foot away from us just isn't going to fly).
max won't take a binki either but cole did, and max only takes one long nap in the day (about 3 hours long).
oh how i wish max would sleep through the night sometime soon.
This is just my own experience -it has not taught me that kids just start sleeping through the night on their own. I guess you have to ask yourself how much it bothers you - does it bother you enough to let me him freak out for four nights? Or is it not worth that yet? Kate didn't sleep through the night till she was 9 months, she too liked her some num nums and wouldn't take a binkie.
from Lorena:
Michael also did not take a binky. Well, he did for like a month, but then stopped. Also just like him some num nums. I agree with Andrea, you could be waiting a VERY long time if you just wait for him to figure it out on his own.
Baby Whisperer has some good ideas on some things, but a lot of her stuff was not the answer for me either. You kinda just have to find what fits for you. For me, the cry-it-out method that Dr. Weissbluth (Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child) outlines and says tends to be the most efficient worked well for me. The Baby Whisperer thinks that method is evil, but for my baby HER method, which may sound nicer in theory and for other babies, actually really pissed off my son. If I went in to him and didn't give him some num-nums, he generally got much, much more angry.
Michael didn't take the pacifier, but then once I gave him the chance to learn to soothe himself, I could hear him smacking all over his hands. I almost cried for joy.
All I should say is this: if it is not working for you, then don't be afraid to make a change. Don't let the fear of your baby crying keep you from doing something that will be better for you and him in the long run.
Well, I for one HATE baby wise and it doesn't really give you any direction. As you know dear millie didn't sleep through the night till she was 11 months. We tried it all, cry it out, several binki's in the crib, water in a bottle, feeding her while she was alseep right before we went to sleep, rocking her when she'd wake up etc. etc. but, I think they kinda just do what they are going to do... but here are some things I found helpful.
Babies need to be on this schedule (one and only helpful piece of info from babywise) 1. Eat 2. awake time 3. sleep do not feed them to go to sleep or they will just associate the 2. other stuff I read, make sure they know how to fall asleep on their own, so start by doing that for naptime, then move to bedtime... also, I think cry it out would have been a good method but I think we waited to long hoping we wouldn't have to do it... Dr. whoever says like 3-4 months, but I think like 5-6 months. most people I've talked to say it only takes like a week (he claims 3 days)I agree, it's just so easy to feed them for 10 min. and then they are asleep but believe me, that can continue for several more months and then it is not so easy! Mill continued to wake up 2-5 times each night and you start to go crazy!!! so, yeah. don't know if that advice does anything for you. hope it didn't get to annoying,.
Post a Comment