Monday, June 21, 2010

Naps

Oliver will NOT take naps anymore. It is driving me insane. We were in a good rhythm for about 3 weeks of him taking about three 45 minute naps every day and then one day he just stopped. Today I decided he will either take a nap, or stay in his room for the length of a nap. At 12:56 I finished changing his diaper and reading him a story, swaddled him and rocked him for 8 minutes. He was perfectly happy until we finished the story (he knows its nap time after story) and then immediately started to cry and has not stopped since. So I rocked him for like 8 minutes, laid him down at 1:04, let him cry till 1:13, rocked him again till 1:18, and now he is in his crib still crying at 1:29. He has got to be tired. He hasn't slept since he woke up at 9:15. We even tried going on a car ride at 11:30 to see if that would work, but no. He did sleep while he was eating for about 15 minutes at 11:00. He isn't hungry because he had solids at 12:45 and then ate at 11:00 so he should be good until at least 2:00.

Any thoughts? Here I go back in for another attempt to comfort him and get him to go to sleep...At 2:00 we will give up and resort to the boobie nap (in which he eats/sleeps for 1.5 hours on me and I get absolutely nothing done, again, but at least I don't have to listen to him whining...)

sigh...

6 comments:

Jenilyn said...

Seriously read Baby Wise, it will change your life if you can follow it, otherwise good luck, I know how you feel.

Nat said...

Feel like hanging out? I'm around this week maybe my crazy kids could wear him out.

Ashlie Dalton said...

julie was just telling me yesterday that she did the ferber method with ayda last weekend and that it has made a big difference.

i think i might try it.

Whitney said...

humm...Check his lower gums... is he teething? Mill always has a hard time napping/sleeping when teething. but yeah, the best thing I did to save myself grief was to get millie to fall asleep on her own- i probabally should have done it sooner, but don't feel guilty for letting him cry for a while. I think you had a good system with leaving him for a while... then going back in.

Lauren said...

Hey Kelly- thanks for admitting your blog-stalking ways. That's the first step! Your little boy is such a cutie. I wish I had wise words of wisdom for you about naps. My kids were never good nappers. I will say this- they have gone through good stages and bad stages of napping, before I freak out about anything, I give it a week. I also read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and LOVE it. It is my bible.

Michelle said...

Ah! Babies are so hard! Jenna has been going through the weirdest phase where she always wants to be held. Whenever I leave the room or even put her down, she starts sobbing like I am never coming back. And bedtime is just as bad. I think it's all the traveling we've been doing. Babies need consistency I guess. Do you have a swing? Whenever I put Jenna in the swing she falls asleep...