Monday, July 18, 2011

Dead Thumb

Generally I think I am one of those people that isn't great at very many things, but I am decent at most things I try and don't have to worry about making a fool of myself. There are a few exceptions to this. Here they are in reverse order:

  1. Baking. I can cook ok, but if I attempt to make a batch of cookies or a cake from scratch, you don't want to eat it. It probably won't even be nice to look at. Thank goodness for No Bake Cookies.
  2. Boarding - any sort. Long Boarding, Snowboarding, Skiing, Skateboarding, Wake Boarding, even rollerblading, ice skating etc. Anything that requires balance and doesn't have handlebars, count me out. I have never met anyone worse at it. I can't even figure out if I am goofy foot or not, I have done all the tests and get mixed results every time.
And most importantly because it is really what spurred this post.....
3. Gardening or green thumbing of any kind. And i HATE it. I just weeded for about an hour for maybe the 4th time in my life and i hated every second of it. I don't even know what is ground cover and what is a weed. And when plants die does that mean their season is over? or that we didn't water them? and how do you know which is when? and do you dig them out by their roots? or just chop them off or something and they come back? and again, how do you know? and its hot, and dirty, and there are lots of bugs, and the end result...our yard looks like crap.

First thing I'm paying for when we strike it rich...a gardner.

5 comments:

Andrea J said...

I count on Spencer for editing as well. We talked about talents on Sunday, you have lots of them and I think paying for a gardener is a great solution.

Ashlie Dalton said...

i just found out i don't have a green thumb either... all my plants are dead. i'm wondering if i over-watered? is that even possible? or maybe it's because our ground out here is clay. either way, my plants are dead. which is too bad because i don't even hate weeding.

Rob said...

I hate gardening too. Waste of time. That is why we are trying to teach Smalls to pull weeds. So far, he just pulls plants at random. Close.

Whitney said...

ha ha. depends on the flower you are talking about, lots just die because thier season is over and then you just trim them down to the ground but leave the roots. Some like pansies will just die all together and then when you pull them up the root will come too. I'm telling you- Preen, and then you can mulch too. I haven't weeded more than 5 min each week where last year b/f we had it I was weeding litterally 1-2 hours a week!!!

Dave and Kathryn Dodds said...

Kelly! I have been having so much fun getting caught up on your life! Congratulations on having a GIRL! I'm so happy for you to buy cute girl things! Hope you're feeling a little better than at first!